MEET THE TEAM
Lucy McGregor (nee Peereboom)
- Born and bred in Northumberland, and educated at Central Newcastle High School
- First Class Honours degree in Optometry from University of Bradford in 1982 winning the Yorkshire Optical Society prize for top student.
- Trained with the RVI Eye Department, Jan K Querido and Michael Redican optometrists
- Qualified as a Member of the College of Optometrists in 1983.
- Worked in RVI Eye Department and private practices in Newcastle 1983-87 then moved to Yorkshire while Andy was studying at Bradford
- Gained experience in several Yorkshire practices (of my former lecturers!) before setting up McGregor Opticians on return to Northumberland
- North East Contact Lens Society conference organiser and Chairman
- Certificate in co-management of glaucoma
- Accredited grading optometrist for retinal screening of diabetics 2003-2013
- Born in Lancashire, and educated at Merchant Taylors’ School, Crosby Honours Degree in Materials Science from Sheffield University 1980
- Army officer in Corps of Royal Engineers 1980 – 87, including Falklands campaign, and Gateshead TA service, still involved with the CCF
- Married Lucy and left the army, studied Optometry at University of Bradford 1987-90
- Pre-registration training in Newcastle with Jan K Querido, Ford & Soulsby Opticians, North
- Shields and the RVI Eye Department
- Joined Lucy at McGregor Opticians in 1993
- Interested in dyslexia, visual stress and colorimetry since university
- Worked for NHS North of Tyne as Optometric Adviser
- Council member of the Association of Optometrists, on Domiciliary Eyecare Committee, and director of Sight Care Services
- Member of the Ashington Town Team
Occasional locum help is provided by Sarah Townsend, an experienced optometrist from Newcastle.
Michelle started working with McGregor Opticians in 1995 as an Optical Assistant and then studied for 3 years to become a Dispensing Optician, qualifying in 2004. She has got to know many clients well and can personally advise on best options for all your optical needs.
Claudia joined the practice in 2005 having worked as an Optical Advisor for a large practice in Newcastle. She qualified as a Dispensing Optician in Germany in 1994. She welcomes the freedom to choose the right product for the client, without being influenced by ‘Head Office policy’ or commission based sales.
Lynne is from Newbiggin and joined us in 2003
Kirsty started work with McGregors in 2008. She is currently on Maternity Leave.
Jenni started at McGregor Opticians in 2018, after working in a local multiple practice.