DIRECTIONS TO McGREGOR OPTICIANS
12 Laburnum Terrace Ashington NE63 0XX
FROM THE NORTH
From the A1:
1) Just North of Morpeth (St Leonards Junction) take the A197 left, to Ashington.
2) Follow A197 Ashington signs at the next 4 roundabouts and you will get to the edge of town.
3) Just after a BP garage, there is a double roundabout. Go right at the first and left at the second, again following A197. Go straight ahead at the next 2 small roundabouts and over a railway bridge.
4) At the next (third) roundabout next to ASDA turn right onto A196.
1.ASDA car park 2 hours free and 250 yds walk.
2. If you need to be nearer: go straight ahead at the traffic lights outside ASDA and straight ahead at the traffic lights 100yds further on. McGregor Opticians is then 100yards on the left-hand side where the pavement widens out. There are a few parking places directly outside the practice (30 minutes only, so OK for collections but not enough for an eye examination) and one disabled bay ( 3 hours).
3. Pass the practice, don’t turn immediate left into First Avenue but a little further on bear left at a building called The Mortimer. You then need to turn sharp left back onto Laburnum Terrace. The road is unhelpfully signposted that it is resident permit parking only, but past the houses on the left, it opens up into a car park with a 2 hour limit. Beware that the second left turn IS all permit parking only.
4. If that is full, turn right onto First Avenue and use street parking or the small car park 100yds on the left. From the A1068 coastal road: Just South of Ellington go straight ahead at the roundabout on the A1068 (Ashington is also signposted left A189). Follow this road over a level crossing and past the Rugby Club and new housing on the left. At the T junction turn left onto the A197 into Ashington. Just after a BP garage… see above
FROM THE SOUTH
Via A189 ‘Spine road’ North.
1) Soon after the road crosses the River Wansbeck you reach a roundabout, turn left (= first exit) signposted Stakeford B1334.
2) After ½ mile you will pass B&M on your left. Go straight ahead at the next 2 mini roundabouts. At the third, which is at Dove’s warehouse, turn right signposted Town Centre A197.
3) Proceed along this tree-lined road going straight ahead at the traffic lights. This is where you need to have your wits about you… as the road bears right you need to turn right ‘through’ a pavement island towards Golden Flower Chinese takeaway. Having passed the takeaway on your left, turn immediately left into Laburnum Terrace.
4) The road end is unhelpfully signposted that it is resident permit parking only, but after the houses on the left, it opens out into a car park with a 2 hour limit.
5) McGregor Opticians is on the right hand side of Laburnum Terrace where the pavement widens out. We are between ‘Restaurant Masala’ and ‘The Venue’.
Parking options: If the above car park is full, turn right onto First Avenue and use street parking or the car park 100 yds on the left. There are a few spaces directly outside the practice but only 30 minutes or 3 hours for the disabled space.
1) Turn off the A1 at St Leonard’s Junction just North of Morpeth onto the A197. Follow signposts for Ashington at several more roundabouts until you reach the edge of town.
2) Just after the BP garage there is a double roundabout. Turn right at the first and left at the second. Go straight ahead at the next 2 small roundabouts. At the next (third) roundabout near Asda turn right.
3) One parking option is ASDA which is free for 2 hours. To get to the practice, go straight ahead at the lights beside Asda and straight ahead at the next set of lights. McGregor Opticians is then 100yds on the left-hand side where the pavement widens out. There are a few parking spaces in front of the practice, (30 mins only) and one disabled space ( 3 hours) . Next parking option: pass the practice, don’t turn immediately left into First Avenue but a little further on bear left at a building called the Mortimer. Turn sharp left back into Laburnum Terrace (… see above)